HERMAN DE VRIES (1931, Netherlands)
herman de vries lives in Eschenau, Germany, close to the Steigerwald. This forest—nature in general—is his studio and, according to de vries, “our primary reality.” But not only is nature the place ‘where’ he creates his works, it is also the subject: de vries addresses “the process of being; the process of destruction; the process of becoming,” as it happens in nature. His work is about ‘this’—the process we are part of. Change and chance are aspects of being that he explores by focusing on the (disrupted) relation between humanity and nature. His aim is to create an awareness of being a human within nature.
2011 "Personal Structures", 53rd Biennale di Venezia, Venice, Italy.
• De Jongh, Karlyn & Sarah Gold, herman de vries. In: Sculpture Magazine, USA
• De Jongh, Karlyn & Sarah Gold, herman de vries. In: Carte d'Arte, Fall 2014
• De Jongh, Karlyn & Sarah Gold, herman de vries: being this joy experience unity, PSAP #08, GlobalArtAffairs Foundation, Netherlands, 2014
• De Jongh, Karlyn & Sarah Gold, PERSONAL STRUCTURES: TIME SPACE EXISTENCE 2, Global Art Affairs Foundation, 2013
• PERSONAL STRUCTURES: La Biennale di Venezia 2011. Exhibition Catalogue for PERSONAL STRUCTURES, part of the Venice Biennale, at Palazzo Bembo in Venice, 2011